Week 5 and Week 6: Biweekly Journal of School Internship

 Introduction:

These two weeks were separated by the Onam Vacation in between them. So, these two weeks were really different in their whole atmosphere and the works expected of us as student teachers. Also, our juniors joined us for school induction in the sixth week, making it a much more unique experience. Our juniors were eager to learn but easygoing, I hope they will make great teachers.


Day 17: 9 September 2024

On this day, I had the task of managing an exam hall for almost three quarters of the time by myself in the morning. I also had a migraine so it was not an easy talk and I had a hard time. I also confiscated an unpermitted digital device from a student. The evening was spent managing the students waiting for the bus.


Day 18: 10 September 2024

Students I taught were facing the exams for the portion I taught them, namely physics in classes VIII and IX. I helped with revision a bit, but for most of them it was like pulling teeth and I had to sort of force them into doing it. And once it was over, what I taught were the questions in the examination. An activity card I provided in class for VIII came as is, the discussion of reading a velocity-time graph I revised for the students was asked, and so on. I didn't have any exam duty. But I helped with checking for any cheat sheets before the exam.


Day 19: 11 September 2024

Students from X actually asked me about questions regarding their chemistry exam. I managed to clear the doubts and they were actually able to attend those questions properly in the examination. There was no regular exam hall duty on this day either. It was just keeping students without the exam at the moment quiet on this day. 


Day 20: 12 September 2024

The exams were ending and there was an Onam feast arranged for the students by the school. We helped with serving the meals for students. And the students also got into a scuffle that Arshad had to intervene to break up. It was tiring and taxing duty to both peace keep and cater to students at the same time. Also helped students revise biology lessons in VIII. It was a hectic final day.

The Onam Feast

The school closed for Onam Vacation.


Day 21: 23 September 2024

This was the first day back from vacation and I was prepared to teach the students in VIII all about the new unit of magnetism. Magnetism is readily demonstrated in class, so I used a magnetic needle to demonstrate polarity. 

Demonstrating Magnetic Needle


I had to manage VII in the third period. And also PE periods for V and VI, during the last two periods.

Four of our juniors joined us this week for their school.

Our juniors serving the midday meals



Day 22: 24 September 2024

The next portion in magnetism was an introduction the concept magnetic compass and Earth as a magnet. The students familiarized themselves with the compass I circulated among them, and then I used a chart and earlier concepts to develop the idea of Earth as a compass. The students identified the relationship between geometric and magnetic poles of the Earth.

Explaining Earth as a magnet

I had to go to X to manage the classroom during 3rd period. I helped with some finding some lab chemicals for my senior teacher in the 4th period in the lab. Helped my juniors with classroom management in V during the last two periods.

In the science lab


Helped my senior teacher with a science quiz during lunch break.


Day 23: 25 September 2024

This was a busy day with special programs and I didn't get my scheduled period. Both Amalu and I were tasked with judging the science fair entries. The students need a lot more refinement, and I didn't give anyone an A grade, but there was so much room for improvement and they can go far with some instruction and help.

Evaluating Science Fair


I also assisted in VIII with conducting Vangmayam quiz which was about aptitude in Malayalam language, and helped with technical difficulties in IX.


.Day 24: 26 September 2024

The second period in VIII was my class and I taught about magnetization and how isolated magnetic poles do not exist. The demonstration of that using a steel blade was quite impactful to the students and they opened up with a lot of their questions and I got to go even beyond the syllabus explaining more about general origins of magnetism.

Our optional subject teacher, Praveen sir, came to observe my class in the IX during the fourth period. I taught impulsive force and impulse of force using various teaching aids, including slides, chart, and activity cards. Praveen sir commented that my reinforcement was lacking but otherwise my lesson was adequate.

Checking activity cards during observation lesson

Slides used for the class

In the first period, I observed our juniors' lesson and commented on their performance. Handled USS training during lunch break and taught GK to the students. The afternoon session was PTA for the school after the exam results, and I had to manage X for the whole afternoon.


Day 25: 27 September 2024

I used iron sand to show the magnetic field of a bar magnet physically to students before presenting in the abstract form in a chart. They were highly engaged with the demonstration.

Showing magnetic lines of force


I went to aid Sarath sir in V for the second period. During lunch break, I taught GK again for USS training. I went for classroom management in X in the 5th period. Helped a junior with the same in V during 6th period. The 8th period was Sarga Vela and it was an assembly this time so we helped manage that.

During Sarga Vela assembly


Our philosophy teacher came for general observation and checked our lesson plans and teaching aids. 


Conclusion

These two weeks were contrasting forms of hard work that has been taxing on us with little time to recover. It is nevertheless a rewarding experience that students trust you and ask you so many questions about the portion you have covered. And when even students who you haven't officially taught come to you with exam questions, it is extremely rewarding to know you exude an air of reliability.

And to have student teachers with less experience than you working with you is another unique experience that is going to be the hallmark of the sixth week. 


Suggestions

  • Demonstrations are extremely effective so they should be used more often
  • Need more lesson plans to finish the adequate quota, so has to teach in VII as well in the coming weeks